You know the struggle you have in getting your 4-year-old dressed. Here is an easy way to have him dress himself (once he is capable).
- Find out his favorite toy and talk about how great it is and how much you want one.
- Get his clothes laid out next to him and keep talking about the toy and how much you want it.
- Mention, I know, if I get you dressed you will owe me something, and I think I will take your toy (in a joking way).
- Get “distracted” and leave. ie – “oh, I forgot to brush my teeth”.
- Come back to a smiling, proud, dressed 4 year-old talking about how you cannot have his toy.
Job done, no fighting, a lot of fun had for you and your kid.